W-4 and Taxes for J-1 Participants

W-4 Form

All non-resident aliens must complete a W-4 form when they begin employment. w_4This form is given to you by each employer for whom you work. For a sample of this form and how it should be completed, download this form: W-4 Sample

Remember to use the CCUSA Tax Service address as it appears on the sample when you complete the W4 for your employer.  Please go here: http://www.ccusatax.com/


Taxes J-1 Participants are Responsible For

All American Work Adventures Participants are required to pay Federal and State taxes, however, IRSyou are exempt from Medicare and Social Security. Federal Unemployment Taxes will vary from state-to-state and you may be required to pay these taxes.  Some taxes may be refunded back to you.  In order to receive a any taxes refunded you will need to submit what is called a "W2 form".  This W2 form is provided to you by your employer after you complete your work program.  The W2 will list the total amount of wages you earned and the amount of taxes withheld.  

For the relevant tax legislation refer to: Publication 15 - Circular E, Employers Tax Guide Section 15 - Special rules for various types of services and payments Special Classes of Employment - Student, scholars, trainees, teachers, etc. Point 5 - Nonimmigrant alien holding F-1, J-1, M-1 or Q-1 visas. This publication can be downloaded from: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf. All AWA Participants should be issued a W-2 form so they can file tax returns.